Monday, April 26, 2010

A tribute page to one we love

Good morning peoples!  Its Monday morning and it sure was a crazy busy week last week.  On Wednesday, I got terribly sick with the flu and slept 37 hours in 3 days!  That's more sleep than I've had all year!!!  I'm not totally better today, but definitely better than I was last week! 

As most of you know, my father in law passed away on Friday, April 16.  In March of 2009, he was diagnosed with cancer of the throat and mouth.  The doctors told him they could get rid of it and he underwent chemo and radiation, then in October, he had surgery to get rid of the last little bit.  Well, six weeks later he had 2 tumors again and this time the doctors didn't know what to do.  They tried a couple of different treatments of chemo, but in March, they stopped all treatment since it wasn't helping and called in Hospice.  He was a Vietnam Vet and they think the cancer could've been a result of Agent Orange, so he was sent out with a Military style funeral, a great honor to a wonderful man.  He will be missed terribly!

I did the following LO as a tribute to him and entered it into Estee's Home Sweet Home challenge at scrapbook.com.  My take on what home is, is our eternal home with Jesus Christ our Savior.  He has gone to prepare a place for us.  I can just imagine living in those beautiful mansions and walking on the streets of gold.  I am assured of my father-in-law's salvation, and I know he is up there in his eternal home.  Someday, we will be reunited with him.

I used K & Company Blue Awning patterned paper on this.  I distressed all the edges, inked the larger shaped paper with Walnut Stain Distress Ink.  The bling I created myself and you can find some like it in my Etsy Shop.    The title was cut on my silhouette and I inked both pieces in Walnut Stain, the bottom one very lightly and the top one real dark. 

The paper roses (also in my Etsy shop) I glimmer misted with Tattered Leather, Slate, and Walnut Gold.  The acrylic flower spray came in one of my Swirlydoos Kits back when I subscribed to it.  The 3 other flowers are Prima.
I cut the tag on my silhouette.  The journaling was part of a poem that I found online, auther unknown.  I did the journaling in Microsoft Word.  The bottom tag is glimmer misted with tattered leather, the middle with slate.  I tied 4 different colors of ribbon on to it.

7 comments:

Gina K said...

Girl, this is gorgeous. What a great tribute to a man who touched your life in such a profound way! I am glad you are feeling better! Gina (siameseplease on sb.com)

Unknown said...

gorgeous tribute page. touching memory.

Scrap Vamp said...

This is such a great layout! You really made a beautiful tribute to your father-in-law.

WendyG said...

Wow, what a wonderful tritube LO!!! So sorry for your loss but you certainly did a fantastic job on the LO!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Steph!!!! I looove your blog!!!and Im your follower now ;)!!!!Im sorry I havent been around at sb.com but I was out of town for almost 3 weeks... anyway I also love your new pages, you have been doing gorgeous pages!!!!Hugs!!!~~Nury~~

Gabrielle Pollacco said...

WOW!!! Terffic work!! You sure know how to cluster your blooms!! Beautiful!!!

~Gabi xx

BrandieY1 said...

I'm sorry for your loss but what a great tribute page.